Contact Martin Today!
Connecticut Civilian Conservation Corps Museum is in the former Administration Building of Camp Conner. It has many photos, displays, information and artifacts from CCC camps in Conn. and other states. It is located at 166 Chestnut Hill Rd. (Rt. 190) in Stafford Springs.
The museum was called the Northeast States CCC Museum and was founded by Connecticut CCC boys who were members of Chapter (#170) of the National Association of Civilian Conservation Corps Alumni NACCA. The Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection, State Parks Department, Bureau of Outdoor Recreation, provided the museum with the partial use of the building, staff, and supplies. Due to stste budget cuts, the CCC museum was closed in 2017. It is now open for the summer of 2018 with volunteer support.
The museum is housed in the original (c. 1935) Civilian Conservation Corps camp administration building with documents and memorabilia. Exhibits include campsite life, work areas, photographs, equipment, and tools.
CT CCC Museum is Open Again
It is open Sundays from 12-3 pm from Memorial to Columbus Day weekends.
When the State did not open the CCC Museum due to financial difficulties, Marty Podskoch organized a group of children whose fathers were in the CCC and CCC friends and were able to open the museum and continue the history and legacy of the CCC.
Anyone interested in volunteering should contact Marty at 860-267-2442.at 166 Chestnut Hill Rd. (Rt. 190) in Stafford Springs.
The Connecticut Civilian Conservation Corps Museum to Re-open on May 27th, 2018
The Connecticut Civilian Conservation Corps Museum at 166 Chestnut Hill Rd. (Rt. 190) in Stafford Springs, CT will be open through the summer on Sundays from 12-3 pm from May 27th to Labor Day weekend. The museum is in the former CCC Camp Conner Administration Building. The camp was in operation from 1935-1941 and did work in the Shenipsit State forest and surrounding towns.
The CCC began on March 31, 1933 under President Roosevelt’s “New Deal” to relieve the poverty and unemployment of the Great Depression. Twenty-one camps were set up in many Connecticut towns, state parks & forests. Workers built trails, roads, campsites, & dams, stocked fish, built & maintained fire tower observer’s cabins & telephone lines, fought fires, & planted millions of trees. The CCC disbanded in 1942 due to the need for men in WW II.
Last year the Museum was closed due to state budget cuts. Volunteers composed of CCC alumni, children, and friends have offered to staff the museum.
For further information call the CCC Museum (860-927-3849) or Marty Podskoch (860-267-2442), Volunteer Coordinator Marty Podskoch at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-267-2442
Reunion of CCC Alumni, Family & Friend July 1st 2018
On Sunday, July 1st the Annual CT Civilian Conservation Corps Reunion will be held from 1-3 pm at the CT CCC Museum on 166 Chestnut Hill Rd. (Rt. 190), Stafford Springs. It will be a time to share photos and tell stories about life in the CCC camps in CT and other states. Refreshments will be served.
Author Marty Podskoch will also share stories of the history of the CCC from his new book,Connecticut Civilian Conservation Corps Camps: Their History, Memories and Legacy of the CCC.
The reunion will also give visitors a chance to look at the many exhibits and memorabilia that are displayed in the restored Camp Conner Administration building built in 1935. It is one of the best CCC museums in the US.
If you have any questions please notify Marty Podskoch
For more detailed information on the CCC in Connecticut, find Martin Podskoch’s book: Connecticut Civilian Conservation Corps Camps: History, Memories and Legacy of the CCC It is available at book stores or on line at Amazon or Barnes and Noble. You can also order directly from the author: Martin Podskoch, 43 O’Neill Lane, East Hampton, CT 06424 or call 860-267-2442. The 546 page book is available in hard cover at $29.95 or soft cover at $24.95. Please add sales tax and $3 shipping.
Additional web sites for information: